Email cover letter and resume to:
IDEA Fund Manager
Missouri Technology Corporation
The Missouri Technology Corporation (MTC) is a public-private partnership created by the Missouri General Assembly to promote entrepreneurship and foster the growth of new and emerging high-tech companies in the State of Missouri. MTC seeks a highly motivated, self-driven, organized candidate ideally with strong ties to the Missouri entrepreneurial ecosystems to be responsible for the day-to-day management of its IDEA Fund (see description below).
Established in 1994, MTC makes strategic investments that help high-growth potential entrepreneurs create and grow Missouri-based businesses. MTC achieves its mission by making equity-based investments through a state-sponsored venture capital program (IDEA Fund) and grant-based support of entrepreneurial support organizations. Through the IDEA Fund, MTC has invested nearly $46 million into over 140 Missouri-based high-growth potential technology-focused companies which have raised over $1.3 billion in additional private capital.
Since its launch in 2010, the IDEA Fund has supported the growth of some of Missouri’s most high-profile and successful technology startups of the past decade, including Benson Hill Biosystems (NYSE: BHIL), PayIt, CoverCress, JBara Software (Gainsight), Confluence Life Sciences (acquired by Aclaris Therapeutics NASDAQ: ACRS), MediBeacon, and Geneoscopy. The IDEA Fund has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Treasury as one of the most successful state-backed programs for attracting private capital to grow early-stage technology companies, and by PitchBook for being among the most active venture investors in Missouri.
MTC is seeking an IDEA Fund Manager to lead the next decade of equity-based investments into Missouri-based high-growth potential companies, in an effort to generate an outsized economic development impact for the state.
Please note that MTC has a residency requirement. All candidates must currently be a resident of Missouri or willing to relocate immediately to qualify for the position.
IDEA Fund Manager
The IDEA Fund Manager will report directly to the Executive Director and is a full-time, exempt position (exempt from earning overtime). The IDEA Fund Manager will be responsible for supervising Venture Associates and other members of MTC’s Investment Team.
Salary and Benefits: Candidates will be compensated based on experience with an annual salary ranging from $85,000 – $110,000, along with full medical and dental insurance, 401k, paid time off, and paid holidays.
MTC does not collect a carry on its investments, therefore compensation for the position will not include a share of the carry. However, MTC has already secured funding to support the state-sponsored venture capital program, subsequently the IDEA Fund Manager would not have to solicit investments from Limited Partners. Additionally, the position should require less travel than similar positions with traditional venture capital funds.
Travel Requirements: Occasional overnight travel for out-of-state meetings, and semi-regular travel throughout the State of Missouri.
Residency Requirement: Must currently be a full-time Missouri resident or willing to relocate to Missouri full-time.
In this position, the candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day operations and long-term strategic planning of MTC’s direct investment activities through its state-sponsored venture capital program (IDEA Fund) including but not limited to:
- Acting as a principal advisor to MTC and other stakeholder leadership regarding the IDEA Fund. Including managing milestones, timelines, and compliance with all mandated reporting requirements (state and federal).
- Management of MTC’s Investment Team to ensure:
- strong interest across the state from ventures seeking investment from MTC,
- the development and maintenance of a fair and equitable review process for new and follow-on investment opportunities that will select investment opportunities projected to generate an outsized economic development impact for the state and a financial return for the organization, and
- the management of due diligence activities and completion of the investment process for all IDEA Fund investment allocations.
- Attending select portfolio company board meetings on behalf of the organization/Executive Director.
- Clear, effective, and organized written and verbal communication.
- Ability to successfully interact and build lasting relationships with the critical components of a thriving entrepreneurial and risk capital ecosystem – founders, entrepreneurial support organizations, universities, co-investors, other capital providers, etc.
- Ability to work independently on complex and confidential projects without detailed instruction.
- Proficient in standard office management, communications, presentation, and productivity tools.
- Ability to travel as needed for the performance of duties.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required.
- Experience with early-stage investments and ties to the Missouri entrepreneurial ecosystem is highly desired. Experience successfully raising early-stage capital as a founder or member of a management team is desirable.
- At least 5 years of program management experience is required; preferably in early-stage investment and/or entrepreneur support.
- Experience managing federal or state-funded programs is desired.
- Experience with marketing or communications is desired.
- Commitment to growing entrepreneurial impact in Missouri is required.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and access to a dependable vehicle for work-related travel.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Screening is to begin immediately, and the position will be open until filled. Resumes received by February 27, 2024, will receive the fullest consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Employer MTC is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner status or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), genetic information, sexual orientation, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local law.